Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Minibus Diaries continued...

More times than I can count I have been told not to go into the Minibus Taxi's if it is either (1) dark outside or (2) there are no other passengers inside of the Minibus.

Well one morning last week while catching a minibus on the way to work, Alexis and I were caught in the typical conundrum of picking between two taxi's who pull up to pick us up at the same time and yell at us to jump in their taxi in order to get our business and detract us from the other taxi. This particular morning Alexis decided to take the reigns on the decision and started walking to the first taxi that pulled up. As I started to follow her, I realized that there was no "caller" by the door of the car and only one other passenger sitting in the front seat next to the driver. I called over to Alexis telling her that we should go over to the second minibus, but she was already on her way into the first taxi...

I figured it really couldn't be that bad... Right?

We both hopped inside to find the minibus literally carpeted from floor to ceiling in SHAG. Green shag carpeting on the floor, seats, walls, and yes, the ceiling. Immediately I thought, "This is how I am going to die."

About 5 minutes into our ride, the other passenger in the front got out of the minibus. The driver's accomplice was gone. Alexis and I were alone to fight off the driver to our deaths on some South African side street.

Sadly, the highlights of this story end here, because less than 10 minutes later the minibus pulled over on the side of the street at Long Street, our stop. We jumped off the bus and made a pact never to ride on an empty minibus taxi again.

Lame excuse for a shot inside of a crowded minibus taxi...

No comments: